Close

• News

by Published on 02-12-2020 03:13 PM

Please enjoy the latest edition of the Checkpoint newsletter!

by Published on 02-03-2020 05:22 PM

Unfortunately due to the unusually warm weather and hence the continued lack of ice, the February 8th and 9th Ice Runs events are cancelled.

We are all keeping our hopes up for the Feb 22nd event!
    by Published on 01-29-2020 05:01 AM

REmarks January 2020

Welcome to a new decade. In classic SVR tradition, the new year started with icy/snowy weather just in time for our awards banquet. But also becoming a tradition is Sheri Wolford’s incredible hard work she puts into these banquets. This year’s was no exception, as nearly half of our members got together to celebrate successes in 2019 and share a few stories while the snow/ice came down outside.
    But that’s just the start of 2020. As the RE (Region Executive) this year, I have a few goals for us. First, I’m working with the board to help document all the things that we do as a region so we can learn from mistakes and lessons learned and keep building things bigger/stronger/faster going forward.
    I also want to dig into what makes SVR unique. That means getting out to see faces and hear more stories from each other. I think we’re a “family” region, as opposed to a “business” region. Maybe this year we will put on a few social events, either in conjunction with our competitions or maybe totally separate social events. I want to have more chances to “be” uniquely SVR. Maybe this year we’ll try some new/old things just to mix it up a bit.
    Have you wanted to get involved but weren’t sure how? Here are a few chances coming up in the next few weeks:

• Solo Planning meeting will be Saturday Feb 1st. Sean Tate is working on preliminary scheduling and other key off-season items with the solo board. If you’re interested in being a part of the solo board this year, you can contact Sean Tate at seant1079@gmail.com. Come on out just to listen, to learn or to take that next step to being involved.

• February 15th in Clio, we’re going to have a Karting event (sometime in the afternoon). There will be more posted on the website and facebook page about this. Keep your eyes peeled. We’re looking at doing practice/qualifying/race. But even if you don’t want to compete, come out and cheer on the others. It’s sure to be a good time. Afterwards, we’ll do dinner nearby with the group.

Let’s try to spend more time in 2020 meeting the faces inside the helmets, not just watching the tail lights driving away. In SVR, let’s spend the time to stop and say “Hello”.

Larry MacLeod2020 Saginaw Valley Region SCCA Region Executive
    by Published on 01-29-2020 04:59 AM

2020 SCCA National Convention Recap

A few weeks ago I traveled to Las Vegas to attend the SCCA National Convention. More than 450 attendees representing 70 of the 115 SCCA regions were in attendance, making it the biggest and most successful convention so far. Convention is primarily a training ground for regional leaders to come and learn about their certain specialties (solo, race, Time-Trial, Rally). As a region with primarily only a solo program, I was there to see how we could improve our regional programs, but also poked my nose around a few other things that might be interesting to our members outside of solo.

E-motorports. The SCCA is starting to get involved in e-motorsports. The convention session was a good discussion among different regions and users, and how they’re currently getting into this new world of online racing. There were also some good ideas thrown around about how SCCA at the National level can get more involved. At a regional level, if there is interest perhaps we can consider setting up a race or even a regular league among members. Assetto Corsa and iracing are two very popular platforms. SCCA at a National level is already getting involved with iracing by offering prizes to SCCA members for their performance in the public Spec Racer Ford series, and also the SCCA has been hosting occasional SCCA member only “special” race nights that have been happening about once per month since mid-2019. Many regions are also setting up their own weekly iracing series (Washington DC, Philadelphia Regions to name a few). If SVR has enough interest, maybe we could step into this area. Feel free to contact me if you want more information on e-motorsports.

But convention was also a chance to learn how regional volunteers can be better leaders. One of the most impactful sessions was Chris Robbins “It all Starts with Respect”. Chris is currently the SCCA’s director of regional development. This particular session was about how respect can change people and change our club. It was about how our leaders need to know where the line is drawn, and when to take action at our events. This isn’t just about Topeka or SCCA board members, he was talking to anyone representing the SCCA, anyone wearing an SCCA shirt, anyone at our local events, coaches, event chairs, safety stewards, grid workers, registrars, corner workers…. All of us. He was showing us how the respect we show each other will reflect on the membership and on our club, and ultimately respect is what the SCCA should be about. Very powerful moment that no one in that room will soon forget.

Larry MacLeod
    2020 Saginaw Valley Region RE
    by Published on 01-29-2020 04:56 AM

2019 SCCA Saginaw Valley Region
    Awards Banquet Recap

Awards Banquet Recap
    As seasoned members of the Saginaw Valley Region know, the New Year hasn’t truly begun until the annual awards banquet has been held, and 2020 is no different. Despite the less than perfect weather, SVR members (known for being unstoppable, dedicated and committed race enthusiasts) again braved what seems to have become Mother Nature’s annual attempt to ruin a good time, resulting in a great turn out and a wonderful evening for all.
    In recognition of their uplifting energy, good vibes and unyielding determination to go fast, Alex and Caroline Fullerton received the New Member award. I think I can safely speak for every member of the club when I say the growth and improvement shown by these two from the start of the season all the way through to Nationals was nothing short of incredible. Well done you two!Although anyone who has seen the woman drive was in no way surprised, the look on Tammy Breece’s face when she was announced the Most Improved Driver of the season was one of the more entertaining points of the evening. Throughout the year, she’s found herself behind the wheel of many different vehicles, but with her skill, technique, focus and positive attitude, everyone can agree that she knows how to drive a perfect line.
    As anyone who has attended or chaired an Autocross event knows, each and every one requires extensive planning and countless hours of work. From course design and set up, to tear down and patching concrete, these events cannot happen without the dedication and hard work of members like Kyle Roberts. Kyle is often the first person to arrive early in the morning and nearly always one of the last to leave. This past season, Kyle Roberts went above and beyond and everyone knows he is always ready, willing and able to lend a helping hand when the need arises. It is because of his consistent dedication to the club that Kyle took home the George Austin award for 2019.
    Extending his reign for a third year, Larry MacLeod took home the Boreen Cup, bringing the total in his collection to six. I think everyone can agree that is a pretty spectacular achievement! Congratulations Larry!
    And of course, a huge congratulations to all of the individuals who took home trophies for individual events and/or for their classes. You should all be very proud!
    Thank you again to everyone who came out to celebrate another successful year with us. We’re looking forward to an even better season in 2020!
    Ed Prymak
    by Published on 01-24-2020 02:47 PM

Come join us for the 2020 Solo Planning meeting! This is the place to be if you want to have a say in when our autocross events will be taking place for the season! Come talk cars with us, give us your opinions, advice or just come hang out!

It will be taking place at the Redwood Steakhouse at 5304 Gateway Center in Flint, MI at noon February 1st.

We are looking forward to seeing you there!
    by Published on 01-14-2020 02:45 PM

Due to the continuing warm-ish weather, the backup ice runs event on January 18th will also be cancelled. Lets hope the water freezes by February 8th!
    by Published on 01-06-2020 05:44 PM

Due to the warm weather and the lack of ice, the January 12th Ice Runs Event will be cancelled.
    Let's keep our fingers crossed for the next events.
    by Published on 12-23-2019 02:46 AM

Ice Runs Fans!

The schedule is set for the 2020 Ice Runs! Read up on this version of "fun with cars" at this link.

Now all there is left to do is wait for registration to open and hope for the weather to cooperate!

We hope to see you there.
    by Published on 12-19-2019 03:16 AM

Come one come all!

All members and prospective members are welcome and encouraged to join us for the December board meeting.

This is the "passing of the torch" meeting between the 2019 and the 2020 board of directors.

The meeting will be held at Bagger Dave's in Grand Blanc at 7:00PM 12/19/2019

8235 Trillium Circle Ave, Grand Blanc, MI 48439

Come hang out and chat about cars, autocross and other fun things.
    by Published on 11-27-2019 07:35 PM

Please join us for our 2019 awards banquet!

It will take place on January 11th, 2020 in Freeland, MI.

Registration and more information at the link below.

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/...event_id=16881
    by Published on 10-14-2019 01:49 PM

Hi Folks,
    I was disappointed not to join everybody at the last event of the season but unfortunately work had me seeing the great states of TX , NJ and a whole lot of road in between. I hope everybody finished the year on a high note.
    Now to the meat of this post. The final standings for the year in Class and PAX points. As always, I endeavor to get everything correct and all members marked in red but if you see something I missed or somebody please drop me a line. I am only human and don’t get paid to do it, so mistakes can happen. But really if you have any questions or concerns drop me a line on my email, mustangracer2015@yahoo.com.
    If you’d like to share some of your off-season racing plans hit me up. The Checkpoint could use some articles to fill the long winter months. Katherine Redwine the Checkpoint editor would love to have some help filling each edition. This year articles have been sparse folks. This your club and Checkpoint is your newsletter. You don’t need to be a writer to share. If you don’t know how to reach her, contact me and I’ll pass you along to her.
    I’m going to do my best to see everybody at the banquet in January or before if there are any social events planned.
    I hope everybody has a safe offseason.
    Jay Payne
    SVR Points Keeper

Class Points Updated 10-12-19.pdf
    PAX Points Updated 10-12-19.pdf
    by Published on 10-08-2019 02:29 PM

The results from the season ender events are now available below!

Thank you all for helping to put together a great event, and a great season!

SVR #12 Season Ender Class Results.pdf
    SVR #12 Season Ender PAX Results.pdf
    by Published on 09-30-2019 03:33 PM

Hello All!

The registration for our last Autocross of 2019 is open! The event will be at Barstow Airport in Midland, MI on October 6th.

We hope to you see you all this Sunday At Barstow!
    Registration is at the link below

http://myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frmE...event_id=16829
    by Published on 09-25-2019 02:33 PM

Hi folks,

Posted, are the Class and PAX points through event 11. As always I endeavor to do my best but if you see any issues please let me know. It's with your help I stay on the straight and narrow. I can be reached at mustangracer2015@yahoo.com. I'll reply as soon as possible to you.

I hope to see everybody in a few weeks at the last event.

Jay Payne
    SVR Pointskeeper

PAX points Updated 9-19-19.pdf
    Class Points Updated 9-19-19.pdf
    by Published on 09-16-2019 03:27 AM

On September 21 SVR will be hosting the Nexteer employees for a Ride and Drive event. If you would like to instruct or help with the event, let us know and we will get you in, we can always use extra hands.

The following day, September 22nd, SVR will be hosting a fun autocross event. This event will not count for the yearly championship. The event will feature reduced entrance fees - $20 for members and $30 for non-members. Registration will open soon, but meanwhile keep this coming Sunday open! We are planning for at least 6 runs, so come get some good seat time for a reduced price.
    by Published on 09-16-2019 03:23 AM

Thank you to all who joined us for today's autocross. The weather cooperated with us and everyone helped out and made this event run smoothly. It would not have been possible without all of your joined efforts!

Below are the results from the event,
    Check them out!

091519 Pax Results.pdf
    091519 Class Results.pdf
    by Published on 09-10-2019 02:44 PM

Just a reminder to come join SVR for the Autocross at Barstow Airport this Sunday September 15th. It is in held in Midland, MI.

Registration link below.

http://myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frmE...event_id=16828
    by Published on 09-08-2019 11:15 PM

Hi Folks,

Posted are the standings for class and PAX points through the first 10 events. There are only 2 events left in the season. If you are running for a year-end trophy you must have completed in 7 events to qualify.

As always, any issues or comments about the points please feel free to email me at mustangracer2015@yahoo.com. I'll get back to you asap.

Jay Payne
    SVR Scorekeeper

PAX Points - Updated 9-4-19.pdf
    Class Points - Updated 9-2-19.pdf

• Upcoming Events