Close

• News

by Published on 07-13-2020 01:34 PM

Thank you all for joining SVR at the July 12th Barstow Autocross!

We appreciate everyone's help throughout the event so that we were able to have 6 runs.

Below are the results.

07122020 SVR#4 Pax Results.pdf
    07122020 SVR#4 Class Results.pdf
    by Published on 07-05-2020 02:36 AM

Hi fellow SVR members,

I hope everybody has enjoyed the start of the season. Posted are the PAX and Class points through the first three events. As always I endeavor to get everything right but if you find something wrong please feel free to email me. I'll get back to you as soon as possible. My email is Mustangracer2015@yahoo.com

Be Safe, Have Fun, Drive Fast

Jay Payne
    SVR Pointskeeper

2020 PAX Points 7-2-20.pdf
    2020 Class Points 7-2-20.pdf
    by Published on 06-29-2020 04:06 PM

Thank you to everyone who joined and had a great time with us at the Ladies Day autocross.
    Below are the event results.

06282020 SVR#3 Results.pdf
    06282020 SVR#3 PAX Results.pdf
    by

Thank you all to those who came to the June Oscoda Autocross and made both Saturday's and Sunday's events successful. The class and PAX results are posted below.

06212020 SVR #2 PAX Results.pdf
    06202020 SVR #1 PAX Results.pdf
    06202020 SVR #1 Results.pdf
    06212020 SVR #2 Results.pdf
    by Published on 06-11-2020 11:43 AM

SVR members,

The SCCA announced this evening that the Junior Driver program is temporarily suspended while it undergoes a thorough review. This includes all regional and national solo events, including our SVR solo events. We support this effort to ensure the future safety of this important program. As soon as there are any updates or changes announced, we will pass them along to our members.

Larry MacLeod
    2020 SVR Region Executive

https://www.scca.com/articles/201377...placed-on-hold
    by Published on 06-05-2020 06:10 PM

Come one, come all! We invite you to join us for our season opener autocross at the Oscoda airport (previously Wurtsmith).
    Due to the recently cancelled Yooper Cup, this new replacement event has been dubbed the Troll Bowl and will take place June 19th-21st. Friday will be a Test and Tune. Saturday and Sunday are regular competition days.
    The new event guidelines regarding Covid-19 precautions will be posted shortly.
    by

Even with ongoing efforts and planning of the opening of a safe autocross season, the Yooper cup June 19-20th had to be cancelled. The decision was made due to the lack of camping and lodging availability in the Upper Peninsula. We have replaced it with an event in Oscoda that is named the Troll Bowl. More details to follow.
    by Published on 04-18-2020 03:19 AM

Due to the current circumstances caused by the global pandemic, the TSD rally scheduled for Saturday, May 3rd will be postponed until fall.
    Until then, let's keep our fingers crossed for a timely start to the solo season and things returning back to normal.
    by Published on 03-22-2020 05:01 PM

Hi SVR members.

Hopefully everyone saw our 2020 solo schedule was published.
    We are now less than 2 months away from the first event.

Please note we are closely monitoring the virus situation in case we have to adjust any of those plans. If we are forced to postpone or cancel any events, we’ll try to make those announcements approximately 2 weeks prior to the scheduled event.

A few key notes:
    Loaner Helmets: We have decided to temporarily suspend our Loaner helmet program until further notice. We are announcing this now to give people the time to acquire their own before the start of the season.
    Minimum rating of Snell SA2005 or M2005 or newer for the 2020 season. This is the same as last season. See link below for requirement details.
    https://www.scca.com/downloads/44726...ecals/download

If you're buying a helmet
    TEAMTECH in Saginaw - Curt Tucker supports SVR and he's local. He carries a few brands and you can try them on for fit right there in his shop.
    here is another SCCA supporting vendor SPS Solo Performance. They are also autocrossers and support our community. https://www.soloperformance.com/Helm...ries_c_13.html

TSD Road Rally - tentatively scheduled for Saturday May 3rd.
    Event flyer will be posted shortly
    Event registration should open in mid-April
    Since this is a road rally, and could have limited person-to-person interaction, we are trying to find ways to keep this event on the schedule.
    We have to work out some details for signing waivers, performing on-site registration, orientation for the required APP that each competitor would be required to use. But we remain hopeful we can make this work.
    More info to come

Stay tuned to the website and the Facebook group (Saginaw Valley Region SCCA GROUP) for more info.

Larry MacLeod
    2020 Saginaw Valley Region SCCA - Region Executive
    by Published on 03-03-2020 08:07 PM

Below is a record of all special awards given out throughout the history of the club.
    Enjoy.

Year End Awards.pdf
    by Published on 03-03-2020 07:09 PM

REmarks February 2020
    Larry MacLeod - 2020 Region Executive -Saginaw Valley Region

What’s that behind those clouds? Its spring fast
    approaching! Unfortunately, the ice-run gods decided
    they weren’t going to let us play this year. So instead
    it’ll be another 2 months before we can take our toys
    out to play for the track and autocross season. In the
    meantime we have to find other ways to get through
    the winter weather.

A few weeks ago, we had our winter blues indoor kart
    race at Extreme Indoor karting in Clio. Sixteen eager racers came out to play that afternoon. We set up practice and qualifying sessions for everyone. Then we split the group into two races ,the A-main race for the faster half and the B-race for the 2nd fastest half. In the B-Main race, itw as Kyle Chipps taking the hard-fought win over Mike Siniff. Over in the A-main, the best battle was for second between Caius Boboescu and Larry MacLeod with Larry making a late pass to
    hold on to 2nd place. But it was Sarin Kodappully who took the lead on the opening lap and walked away with the win over everyone. Sarin is a former wheel-to-wheel kart racer. His experience proved to be valuable when stepping into the indoor rental karts! Thanks to everyone for coming out. Plan on seeing more races like this in the future.

We’re also in the planning “stages” (pun intended) of a road rally, hopefully for some time later this spring. It’ll be a Time-Speed-Distance (TSD) rally. But don’t worry if you’ve never run one, most of us haven’t either! Experience is NOT required, and newbies are encouraged to show up! Keep your eyes on the website and Facebook page in the next few weeks for more info.

Does anyone have a computer or sim-racing rig at home? Or thinking about building one and joining the virtual racing world? There are a few of us in the region that already have
    Assetto-Corsa or Iracing (two of the more popular platforms). What if we set up an SVR racing night on one of these platforms where our members could race against each other online? Let’s
    get some dialogue going on the Facebook group and see if we can get something started soon.

Another thing we do during the winter is build race cars! I am in the midst of my own engine rebuild. For me, this will be a significant power change from what I’ve been running the last few years, so I have a lot of work to gather all the pieces and ensure its assembled correctly. I also know a few other SVR members are also doing some race-car prep for the 2020 season. We’re only about 2 months away from the first event, and time is running out quickly.

Before we know it, spring will be here and we’ll all be standing in our favorite paddock next to our favorite race cars. I hope mine is ready in time!
    by Published on 02-12-2020 02:13 PM

Please enjoy the latest edition of the Checkpoint newsletter!

by Published on 02-03-2020 04:22 PM

Unfortunately due to the unusually warm weather and hence the continued lack of ice, the February 8th and 9th Ice Runs events are cancelled.

We are all keeping our hopes up for the Feb 22nd event!
    by Published on 01-29-2020 04:01 AM

REmarks January 2020

Welcome to a new decade. In classic SVR tradition, the new year started with icy/snowy weather just in time for our awards banquet. But also becoming a tradition is Sheri Wolford’s incredible hard work she puts into these banquets. This year’s was no exception, as nearly half of our members got together to celebrate successes in 2019 and share a few stories while the snow/ice came down outside.
    But that’s just the start of 2020. As the RE (Region Executive) this year, I have a few goals for us. First, I’m working with the board to help document all the things that we do as a region so we can learn from mistakes and lessons learned and keep building things bigger/stronger/faster going forward.
    I also want to dig into what makes SVR unique. That means getting out to see faces and hear more stories from each other. I think we’re a “family” region, as opposed to a “business” region. Maybe this year we will put on a few social events, either in conjunction with our competitions or maybe totally separate social events. I want to have more chances to “be” uniquely SVR. Maybe this year we’ll try some new/old things just to mix it up a bit.
    Have you wanted to get involved but weren’t sure how? Here are a few chances coming up in the next few weeks:

• Solo Planning meeting will be Saturday Feb 1st. Sean Tate is working on preliminary scheduling and other key off-season items with the solo board. If you’re interested in being a part of the solo board this year, you can contact Sean Tate at seant1079@gmail.com. Come on out just to listen, to learn or to take that next step to being involved.

• February 15th in Clio, we’re going to have a Karting event (sometime in the afternoon). There will be more posted on the website and facebook page about this. Keep your eyes peeled. We’re looking at doing practice/qualifying/race. But even if you don’t want to compete, come out and cheer on the others. It’s sure to be a good time. Afterwards, we’ll do dinner nearby with the group.

Let’s try to spend more time in 2020 meeting the faces inside the helmets, not just watching the tail lights driving away. In SVR, let’s spend the time to stop and say “Hello”.

Larry MacLeod2020 Saginaw Valley Region SCCA Region Executive
    by Published on 01-29-2020 03:59 AM

2020 SCCA National Convention Recap

A few weeks ago I traveled to Las Vegas to attend the SCCA National Convention. More than 450 attendees representing 70 of the 115 SCCA regions were in attendance, making it the biggest and most successful convention so far. Convention is primarily a training ground for regional leaders to come and learn about their certain specialties (solo, race, Time-Trial, Rally). As a region with primarily only a solo program, I was there to see how we could improve our regional programs, but also poked my nose around a few other things that might be interesting to our members outside of solo.

E-motorports. The SCCA is starting to get involved in e-motorsports. The convention session was a good discussion among different regions and users, and how they’re currently getting into this new world of online racing. There were also some good ideas thrown around about how SCCA at the National level can get more involved. At a regional level, if there is interest perhaps we can consider setting up a race or even a regular league among members. Assetto Corsa and iracing are two very popular platforms. SCCA at a National level is already getting involved with iracing by offering prizes to SCCA members for their performance in the public Spec Racer Ford series, and also the SCCA has been hosting occasional SCCA member only “special” race nights that have been happening about once per month since mid-2019. Many regions are also setting up their own weekly iracing series (Washington DC, Philadelphia Regions to name a few). If SVR has enough interest, maybe we could step into this area. Feel free to contact me if you want more information on e-motorsports.

But convention was also a chance to learn how regional volunteers can be better leaders. One of the most impactful sessions was Chris Robbins “It all Starts with Respect”. Chris is currently the SCCA’s director of regional development. This particular session was about how respect can change people and change our club. It was about how our leaders need to know where the line is drawn, and when to take action at our events. This isn’t just about Topeka or SCCA board members, he was talking to anyone representing the SCCA, anyone wearing an SCCA shirt, anyone at our local events, coaches, event chairs, safety stewards, grid workers, registrars, corner workers…. All of us. He was showing us how the respect we show each other will reflect on the membership and on our club, and ultimately respect is what the SCCA should be about. Very powerful moment that no one in that room will soon forget.

Larry MacLeod
    2020 Saginaw Valley Region RE
    by Published on 01-29-2020 03:56 AM

2019 SCCA Saginaw Valley Region
    Awards Banquet Recap

Awards Banquet Recap
    As seasoned members of the Saginaw Valley Region know, the New Year hasn’t truly begun until the annual awards banquet has been held, and 2020 is no different. Despite the less than perfect weather, SVR members (known for being unstoppable, dedicated and committed race enthusiasts) again braved what seems to have become Mother Nature’s annual attempt to ruin a good time, resulting in a great turn out and a wonderful evening for all.
    In recognition of their uplifting energy, good vibes and unyielding determination to go fast, Alex and Caroline Fullerton received the New Member award. I think I can safely speak for every member of the club when I say the growth and improvement shown by these two from the start of the season all the way through to Nationals was nothing short of incredible. Well done you two!Although anyone who has seen the woman drive was in no way surprised, the look on Tammy Breece’s face when she was announced the Most Improved Driver of the season was one of the more entertaining points of the evening. Throughout the year, she’s found herself behind the wheel of many different vehicles, but with her skill, technique, focus and positive attitude, everyone can agree that she knows how to drive a perfect line.
    As anyone who has attended or chaired an Autocross event knows, each and every one requires extensive planning and countless hours of work. From course design and set up, to tear down and patching concrete, these events cannot happen without the dedication and hard work of members like Kyle Roberts. Kyle is often the first person to arrive early in the morning and nearly always one of the last to leave. This past season, Kyle Roberts went above and beyond and everyone knows he is always ready, willing and able to lend a helping hand when the need arises. It is because of his consistent dedication to the club that Kyle took home the George Austin award for 2019.
    Extending his reign for a third year, Larry MacLeod took home the Boreen Cup, bringing the total in his collection to six. I think everyone can agree that is a pretty spectacular achievement! Congratulations Larry!
    And of course, a huge congratulations to all of the individuals who took home trophies for individual events and/or for their classes. You should all be very proud!
    Thank you again to everyone who came out to celebrate another successful year with us. We’re looking forward to an even better season in 2020!
    Ed Prymak
    by Published on 01-24-2020 01:47 PM

Come join us for the 2020 Solo Planning meeting! This is the place to be if you want to have a say in when our autocross events will be taking place for the season! Come talk cars with us, give us your opinions, advice or just come hang out!

It will be taking place at the Redwood Steakhouse at 5304 Gateway Center in Flint, MI at noon February 1st.

We are looking forward to seeing you there!
    by Published on 01-14-2020 01:45 PM

Due to the continuing warm-ish weather, the backup ice runs event on January 18th will also be cancelled. Lets hope the water freezes by February 8th!
    by Published on 01-06-2020 04:44 PM

Due to the warm weather and the lack of ice, the January 12th Ice Runs Event will be cancelled.
    Let's keep our fingers crossed for the next events.
    by Published on 12-23-2019 01:46 AM

Ice Runs Fans!

The schedule is set for the 2020 Ice Runs! Read up on this version of "fun with cars" at this link.

Now all there is left to do is wait for registration to open and hope for the weather to cooperate!

We hope to see you there.